A little back story:
Aaron claims to love the chickens, he always wants to hold one, he will tell everyone he knows about chickens, and if he hears the neighbor's rooster, he loudly proclaims, "Chicken!"
But in reality, if the chickens start to come towards him or make any sort of noise, off he runs in the other direction, lol. When he asks to hold one and you let him, he starts to cry and says that he is scared.
Fast forward to today:
Aaron and I were eating lunch on the back porch, when I noticed that 3 chickens were loose. Thankfully, most chickens are "homing" chickens, in that they never run too far. Our chickens have never even left the 5 ft radius of the chicken house, so we are pretty lucky. So I told Aaron to stay on the back porch while I got the chickens. Two of them were rounded up pretty easily, but the third was being a stinker and kept running in the opposite direction of me(and I don't run fast normally, so 21 weeks pregnant I am even slower!)
So after five minutes of trying to get this chicken back in, I call Aaron out there with me. My plan was to get the chicken trapped between me and Aaron, the chicken would walk towards Aaron, Aaron would scream, chicken would come towards me, I would scoop it up and put it back over the fence.
Uh, not so much! Aaron screamed just like I thought he would, but the chicken wasn't fazed and just walked right past him! So we went round and round like that, Aaron screaming for "Hugs" translated he wanted to be picked up. So I picked him up and that made it worse, because there was no way to trap the chicken now, plus I didn't have any free hands.
So I put Aaron down screaming and crying and told him to stay where he was and I slowly cornered the chicken back towards Aaron. The chicken started trying to get back over the fence, so I told Aaron to lift the corner of the fence. Voila! The chicken crawled back under! Aaron was so proud of himself, he kept screaming that he had "helped".
Right in the midst of Aaron all excited, he peed his pants, lol. I think the excitement was just too much for him. There were lots of hugs and kisses and I told him how proud I was. Then we headed in for a shower to clean off all the dirt, chicken poop, and pee.
Annie, what a great story! That's just what Aaron needed to boost his confidence :).
ReplyDelete